Text Size


Big Game Licences

Resident moose and caribou (island only) licences for Newfoundland and Labrador are only available through the Wildlife Division’s Big Game Licence draw. Big game licence applications and a copy of the annual Hunting and Trapping Guide are automatically mailed to all eligible resident hunters in early spring. A computerized draw for resident licences occurs in mid-spring. Afterwards, notifications are mailed to all applicants advising of their success in the draw process.

Licences and tags for moose or caribou are mailed directly to successful applicants before the hunting season begins. New big game licence draw applicants must complete the Firearm Safety/Hunter Education Course before Feb. 01 prior to the year of application to be eligible for the following year’s big game licence draw.

Resident Application for Spring/Fall Black Bear Licence PDF (605 KB)

The Feb. 01 cutoff also applies to new residents who have completed a recognized hunter education program in another state/province. In order to meet the deadline, new residents must have submitted a copy of the hunter education certificate and a copy of their NL driver’s licence or Photo Identification Card from the Motor Registration Division.

In Labrador, Resident General Caribou Licences and Resident Special Caribou Licences are available from Government Services Centres or from vendor outlets throughout the region. Resident General Caribou Licences are required to hunt in all other open Labrador zones excluding the Torngat Mountain and George River Zones. Special Caribou Licences are required to hunt in the Torngat Mountain and George River Zone and are available only to residents that live in those zones.

On the Island of Newfoundland, resident black bear licences are available through an application process. Only one licence application is required by hunters to apply for both the spring and fall season. The bag limit is two black bears per licence. Hunters may harvest two bears in the spring, two in the fall or one in each season. Black bear applications are included in the annual Hunting and Trapping Guide, which is mailed out directly to all eligible resident hunters. Black bear applications are also available at all Department of Natural Resources offices. In Labrador, black bear licences are available at all Government Services Centres or at local vendors (general sporting goods stores).

Small Game Licences

Small game licences are available at numerous sporting goods, hardware or general stores throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, or at Government Services Centres.

Resident hunters must provide their driver’s licence or photo ID number, available from the Motor Registration Division. Other forms of identification, such as MCP, are permissible if a driver’s licence/photo ID number is not available.

Since the 2008-09 hunting and trapping season stainless steel wire has not been permitted for small game snaring on the island. Snarers must use approved snare wire, 22-gauge brass or or six-strand picture cord, attached to a firm anchor, for snaring. These changes will assist with ongoing efforts to mitigate the accidental capture of Newfoundland marten and other non-target species throughout the Island of Newfoundland.

See Regulation Summary for Small Game for more details, or consult the Hunting and Trapping Guide. PDF (24.6 MB)

Migratory Game Bird Permits

Migratory game bird hunting falls under the jurisdiction of Environment Canada’s Canadian Wildlife Service. The federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting (MGBH) Permits are available for purchase online opens new window and through Canada Post Offices opens new window and some independent vendors. The MGBH permit is valid throughout Canada.

For more information on Migratory Game Bird Hunting in Newfoundland and Labrador, consult the Newfoundland and Labrador Hunting and Trapping Guide, or the Canadian Wildlife Service’s Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations Summaries opens new window.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, contact:
Enforcement Coordinator
Canadian Wildlife Service, PO Box 1201,
Lewisporte, NL, A0G 3A0
Telephone: (709) 535-0601
Canadian Wildlife Service
6 Bruce Street, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 4T3
Telephone: (709) 772-5585
Canadian Wildlife Service, PO Box 7003, Stn. C
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL, A0P 1C0
Telephone: (709) 896-6167

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free. opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.